The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) has selected six sub recipients to receive more than $2.5 million in FY 2009 Job Access and Reverse Commute (JARC) and New Freedom grant program funding. The sub recipients are the Cobb County Department of Transportation, DisABILITY LINK, Fayette Senior Services, Gwinnett County Senior Services, the Marcus Jewish Community Center and the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA).
The JARC and New Freedom programs are design to address the transportation challenges faced by low-income earners, disabled persons and older adults commuting for the purpose of obtaining and maintaining employment or making other quality of life trips.
Government agencies, transportation providers and non-profit organizations may use the grant funds for capital expenses and operating costs for trips related to employment, medical needs, and other quality of life issues that benefit low-income earners, disabled persons and/or older adults who use transit or other transportation alternatives.
ARC and MARTA are the designated recipients of JARC and New Freedom funding in the Atlanta area. Because MARTA also applies for the competitive grants, ARC manages the selection of subrecipients and the amounts received. Subrecipients in metro Atlanta received $1,644,202* in JARC funding and $918,520* in New Freedom funding. The recipients are:
- JARC route numbers 30 and 35 – $815,183.
- Pedestrian Access Improvement and Travel Training – $549,500.
- Voucher program for persons with disabilities – $105,360.50.
- Transportation Voucher Program for Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities – $97,470.
- Project Get in GEER (Gwinnett Enabled Elderly Ridership) Mobility Management and Voucher Program for Older Adults with Disabilities or Low-Income – $85,745.
- Expanded Transportation Options and Voucher Program for Persons with Disabilities, Older Adults and Adult Daycare Participants – $80,444.
- JARC route numbers 19, 84, 89, 111, 117, 124, 139, 143 and 189 – $829,019.
For more information, please contact Kenyata Smiley: ksmiley *at* atlantaregional dot com.